|A monumental block... and locks||
The monument to John Young (1811-1878), an ardent promoter of the Port, was produced in 1908 by Louis-Philippe Hébert and relocated in 1998.
The Allan Building (1858) housed the head offices of the Montréal Ocean Steamship Company. It is now the home of the Old Port of Montréal Corporation. On one of the pillars at the entrance, a mark shows the level reached by the St. Lawrence during the great flood of 1886. It shares the block with an 1875 building, formerly housing the Montréal Harbour Commission, restored in 1998, and a recent residential complex, on the site of the former Munn naval shipyard (1805-1822).
The Lachine Canal locks, now restored, mark the western end of the Old Port. Opened in 1825 and repeatedly enlarged, the Canal made it possible for boats to avoid the Lachine Rapids until 1959, when the St. Lawrence Seaway took over that role. It also played a key part in Montréal's industrialization, as its locks provided hydraulic power for riverside factories.